Monday, July 13, 2009

"We run on fumes, your life and mine, like the sands of time"

Well I now have officially experienced one whole week of the packing up Sunday night, driving to Charleston Monday morning, and staying until Friday after work then heading back to Columbia for the weekend. Luckily Kassie gave me today off work since I am leaving tomorrow for IFI (Interfraternity Institute, a new professionals conference for those of us working in the Greek world). Now as most of you know the long distance thing is nothing new for Timmy and I. We spent the first 7.5 years of our relationship together long distance, it was not until we were married that we lived in the same zip code let alone the same place. And last summer I spent two months living in Blacksburg for my internship. So it's not that we can't do the long distance thing, it is just that the longer we are together the harder it gets to do it. I have a new found respect for my friends who have spouses in the military who spend months/years apart. I am grateful that Timmy and I still see each other on the weekends (well at least a few between now and when we move) and that I know that there is an end in sight once our place is done being built and we move.

Speaking of the new place we ventured out on Saturday to do some more looking for bedding for our guestroom and to pick up more paint samples. We are getting the twin beds that I grew up with back from my dad's attic when we move and are going to put them in our third room so that we can have two guest rooms in the new place (so hopefully we will have lots of visitors). We decided to push them together to make them a king so we have been hunting for king sized bedding. In addition, our friend Tory bought us an Ernest Lee painting (better known in Columbia and around SC as the Chicken Man) before she left to move back home, and I really wanted to be able to hang it somewhere in the new place. So while I was not necessarily looking for bedding for a room to match the painting, it would definitely have been a plus. Well I found a comforter set that I loved at Macy's but of course it was very expensive and even their great One Day sale wasn't helping my cause. So we wrote down the name and searched for it online when we got home. Lucky for me we were able to find it for a GREAT deal on overstock.com so I am getting the bedding I love and it matches the picture Tory bought us. Today we went and picked up a few more to hang with it over the bed, but overall I am very excited about our new room and our new art. It will be a very SC/Beachy room and it will be waiting for people to come visit and stay in it! Check out the pictures below of the comforter set and the paintings we bought.
This is the bedding we got for the king bed

Here are our 3 new paitings (the one in the middle was our gift from Tory)

Here is another actual Chicken Paiting we also got, this one will also go somewhere in the new guest room, just not with the palmetto trees

Like I mentioned I had a nice day off work today and was able to grab lunch with Lavina and Anna, two of my past co-workers who I really miss at my new job. It was great to catch up with them and to have an extra day to get my stuff together and pack before I leave tomorrow morning for Indiana. Timmy is also going to go to Chester this weekend while I am gone to visit since it looks like between the move and my crazy fall schedule at work that we probably won't make it back there together until the end of October. With that said though, the job is going great, I really love everything about it so far- I have great co-workers and the students I have had a chance to meet are awesome, and really, who can complain about the gorgeous views I have on my morning runs around the city? I think I made a great job decision and am actually looking forward to getting back from my trip (that I haven't even left for yet) to get back to working on things there. So other than the craziness of traveling and being apart, life is pretty good right now and it sure does make Timmy and I grateful for the few days we do get to spend together, even if they are few and far between for the next few months.

1 comment: